Tuesday, May 28, 2019

5.25.19 Scarce Bunker Schools

I headed out of the slip at 5:15 and went about an hour west in search of bunker schools getting attacked by big bass.  I found sporadic spread out bunker schools that were generally unbothered. The bunker schools were very spread out and the ones I found had very spread out individual bunker in it, which made snagging them nearly an impossible task.I only snagged one after hours of trying, only to have it fall off the hook. 

When I was on a few bunker schools, I did noticed that there were some pretty good looking large marks under and around the bunker schools.  I knew if I dropped down a live one there was a pretty good chance it would get inhaled.  It was very frustrating to not be able to snag the bunker.  I guess that is why trolling can be very productive this time of year.  Trolling is just not my favorite way to catch big bass.

I am hearing of big bass being caught in the islands and on the bunker schools on chunks, trolling, and live ones.