Friday, May 17, 2019

5.17.19 Bass-Grass-Mudflats-Muskrats



Finally dropped the boat in the water yesterday.  All went well for the most part.  Still need to tweak the engine a bit to get it running perfectly, but I was able to get it up to 46mph, which is a new record for my boat.  That was with a full tank of gas and 2 guys, an my dog on the boat.

I drove all over the sound and to Long Island just to burn off some old gas.  I saw bunker schools mid sound, as well as a chain gang of boats trolling the reefs.

Later on, I jumped on my buddy James's--> norwalkislandsfishing.com boat after I can back to the dock and we fished till dark.  We hit up many of the usually haunts in the rips with high hopes and got 1-2 small cookie cutter sized bass.  It wasn't until we explored a mudflat that we really saw the most action.  There were schoolies pushing bait against the grass, and egrets there to pick out the bait.

We had a consistant bite going on poppers and popper flies.  It was a great time.  We ended up with probably 10-15 fish in total all around the 20-23" size.  Some were a little chunkier than others.