Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October 26th, 2018 Stripers Blitzing Consistently Around Islands Before and During Noreaster

I went out with a buddy for an afternoon casting session.  We were rewarded with many schoolie striper blitzes in a few different locations.  I tied up some flies the night before to mimic the peanut bunker that is plentiful in our area right now, that I knew the stripers would love to munch on.  We used 8 and 9 weight set ups.

As it got darker, We casted top water around structure and I got a huge blow up on my spook, then the fish immediately started pulling drag for about 5 seconds.  Then it spit the hook.  I think I lost a keeper sized bass, up to a 20lber.  This time of year you can be rewarded with a quality bass when you put the time in casting lures around structure.

The water temp. is in the mid 50s for the most part, which the bass love.  It makes them want to eat, and thats what they have been doing!

There are a lot of boats togging around the islands, doing pretty well.  I have not yet given it a shot, but I know it is action packed fishing.

I also went out the next day during the storm.  There was  a lot of birds in the harbor diving after peanut bunker that were fleeing attack from schoolies below.  There were about 6-7 anglers fishing from shore that had done pretty well.  My plan was to fish the harbor as the tied dropped.  I thought that the bass and peanut bunker would filter out and continue feeding into the harbor.  That plan did not come to fruition. We were pelted with rain and hit with wind the entire time which made fishing very difficult among the 3' swell.

CONCLUSION: The pre-Noreaster bite was much better than during the noreaster