Thursday, October 26, 2017

October 25, 2017 Schoolie Blitzs Galore!




On October 24th we got hit with high winds from the south which pushed big swells into the harbor.  Any boat on the outside of my marina fell victim to the high winds.  Some boats were smashing together, a few boats had their D rings broken.  My bracket had the hooks broken off, which secured the boat to the frog hooks, which attached the boat to the dock from the stern.  In the midst of the storm I got a call that I needed to get down to the dock to secure my boat.  I did not have time to repair anything while the boats were hitting together and while the battling the roller coaster like movements of the dock. So I hopped on the boat and two friends guided me out of my slip.  I brought the boat to another marina way up river, near 95, which was prearranged by the dock master of my marina. 




The next day, after making repairs to my slip and before bringing the boat back I decided to try to get a little fishing in. The wind was almost still, and there was a light rain and overcast skies. I did not have to go far before I saw splashes and the frantic acrobatic maneuvers of gulls swooping down to scoop up spraying baitfish.  I motored up, to find stripers attacking peanut bunker.  I caught a few 20 inchers, then continued searching outside of the harbor.  I casted a spook against a rocky shoreline and was rewarded with another pair of eager schoolies around the same size.  Continuing my search, I left and motored on the inside of the islands, only to find the same blitzing stoolies continuing from Norwalk through Westport.  I stayed on these fish for an hour or two.  They were fun to catch on top water.  This is great news for upcoming years of striper fishing in the islands, because there were many fish in the same size class feeding on the surface.


I did not see any false albacore.