Friday, December 21, 2018

2018 YEAR REVIEW

Well, the boat is wintered and all of my fishing gear is stowed away till the spring.  Now may be a good time to reflect on the season.

Spring:  I did some casting around the islands in April and May and found some good action on muddy areas that warm up fast.  In June I saw a great night time chunk bite around the islands and in deep water on bunker chunks.  I did not see many days when the bass (or blues) were busting the schools of bunker that were plentiful around the islands.

Summer:  I did not come across very many tailing blues on top in deep water (however I did find them a few times).  Porgy and seabass action was great almost anywhere there was some type of structure.  I did not focus my efforts much on fluke fishing, so I cannot speak to that.

Fall: It was very difficult to find false albacore for me because it seemed whenever I was out, which was mainly weekends there was bad weather which made it impossible to fish let alone travel.  I did fish a lot in the afternoon, which was unproductive most of the time.  The striped bass action was excellent throwing lures and flies around the islands in late October and November.